The Creativity Exchange
Our vision is for a woodland habitat that delights everyone who drops by. Our plans and products are all about ideas and experiences in the wood. We still have a lot of work to do and as a small creative enterprise we receive no public funds. So we are being honest about this at the beginning. There is no money. So, read on if inspiration matters more to you.
Here’s the thing...
We are able to offer selected artists, designers & architects who share our vision and want to be part of it, a unique place to stay; good food and full credit for your creative input, possibly the exhibition of your work – if you are willing to help us with our woodland evolution.
In short, you get to be on holiday whilst meeting new and interesting creative people, engaging your imagination and creativity and playing a crucial part at the beginning of a big, beautiful idea.
The wood occupies c5 acres and was originally planted with Japanese larch, wild cherry, ash, oak, alder, hazel and more, to address noise and other potentially negative environmental impacts of the realignment of the A477 road which leads from the M4 via Cosheston to Pembroke Dock. Some of the wood is cramped and in poor condition so we’re developing a woodland management plan to sort this out.
As we remove some of the old wood, we’re not only making space for native deciduous species that support wildlife and biodiversity; we’re revealing space for ideas, experiences and surprises that people can explore when they visit.
- Our emerging wetland areas need a better structure, walkways and links to and from the garden and neighbouring farm (for local produce and a great cafe!)
- Our treetops are crying out for large scale exhibition pieces – could they be your photographs, paintings or prints?
- We wish to make play areas that embody the wildness and spirit of adventure that every child should know.
- Parts of the woodland garden might change just once a year in some way, perhaps becoming a must see calendar event. What might be the nature of that intervention?
So here’s what we’re offering in return for your creative exchange, partnership and imagination during what should prove to be a magical weekend masterclass:
- Weekend accommodation (7pm Friday to 5pm Sunday) in uniquely furnished bell tents at the ideawood garden glampsite.
- Friday night welcome picnic and introduction with the ideawood team.
- Buffet breakfast on Saturday and Sunday morning – great coffee!
- Home cooked evening meal on Saturday night.
- Sunday late lunch farewell meal.
- NB: You’ll need to bring your own supplied for light lunch on Saturday
Dates for the ideawood exchange are fixed annually for early Autumn and Spring/Summer.
If you express an interest and it turns out you want to join us, you will receive full programme details in advance, including everything you need to know, well before your visit.
- Naturally we are seeking creative input, drawings, design and exhibition
- ideas. We will provide basic materials in the form of sketchbooks, drawing materials etc.
- Temporary or ephemeral structures that may biodegrade in the wood.
- We will share copyright where images/drawings etc are selected for use ©ideawood creativity exchange [your name].
- The outputs form the weekend may have the potential to contribute to long term partnerships.
If you are students, then we’ll guarantee a great experience for your CV!
- This opportunity will not attract a fee of any kind
- Wet room/showers on site
- We do not serve, sell or make alcohol available
- Limited parking is available at site
- Clothes washing and other utility facilities on site
- Limited wifi – that’s ok! You’re away from it all!
- Visitors may store small amounts of sundry food items at the glamspite kitchen.
- No perishable foodstuffs should be stored in the bell tents. All such items must be removed from site upon departure.
- This is our home – you’ll be most welcome – we’ll respect your privacy and ask that you respect ours.
How to apply
To join us on this journey please submit an expression of interest to include:
- A letter telling us why our project captures your imagination – no more than two sides A4. Keep it simple – tell us why you would love to help us shape ideawood and why it fits with your practice or discipline.
- A full CV
- No more than 10 slides in a digital format (pdf or jpegs of no more than 2mb please) and/or reference to relevant, up to date, informative websites.
- Your willingness to find your way to us and home again independently.
- Your availability for the dates shown...
Submission is by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org To reach us by 31st June 2018
All submissions will be acknowledged within 48 hrs.
Provisionally selected artists will be notified by email.
We would like to meet you and ask about your submission, but recognise the costs involved, so we’ll arrange to Skype or Facetime selected artists for c30minutes. Please ensure you include your SKYPE of FACETIME details and your TELEPHONE NUMBER.
Our final choice of artists will be informed by email within 48 hrs of the SKYPE/FACETIME conversation. Our decision will be final.